Search results for: railroad-depots-of-central-ohio

Railroad Depots of Central Ohio

Author : Mark J. Camp
File Size : 85.35 MB
Format : PDF, ePub, Mobi
Download : 441
Read : 466
Download »
By the mid-1850s, the railroad craze had hit central Ohio. Pioneer railroads that were to evolve into portions of the Baltimore and Ohio, New York Central, and Pennsylvania Railroads connected the state capital, Columbus, with the canals, Lake Erie, and the Ohio River. The region was crisscrossed by numerous other lines by 1880; Columbus became the main hub while other railroad centers included Circleville, Delaware, Mansfield, Mount Vernon, Newark, and Zanesville. Hundreds of depots were built throughout central Ohio to serve railroad passengers and to handle baggage, mail, and freight. Depots became the center of commerce and activity at communities--big and small. With the discontinuance of passenger trains across the Buckeye State, many depots disappeared from trackside--many simply demolished, others relocated for non-railroad uses. Railroad Depots of Central Ohio offers a pictorial history of selected depots, centering around Columbus and Franklin County, using old postcards and vintage photographs.

Railroad Depots of West Central Ohio

Author : Mark J. Camp
File Size : 29.84 MB
Format : PDF, Kindle
Download : 387
Read : 507
Download »
Twelve railroad lines served west central Ohio around 1907 and were the lifeblood of the communities they ran through. Bellefontaine, Bradford, and Crestline became major terminals, and lesser known places like Dola, Ohio City, and Peoria also owe their existence to the iron horse. Around 300 depots served the west central region, with the earliest dating to the late 1840s. The depot was the center of activity in the smallest village to the largest city. Many of the depots no longer exist--victims of progress, nature, or neglect. Some survive as historical museums, various businesses, and residences; a few remain in railroad use. The proud history of railroading lives on in the restored depots at Bucyrus and Galion--two architectural gems of the Buckeye State. Railroad Depots of West Central Ohio shares a tale of the golden age of rail travel through vintage postcards and mid-20th-century photographs of selected depots and other railroad structures.

Railroads Depots of Northwest Ohio

Author : Mark J. Camp
File Size : 65.42 MB
Format : PDF, ePub
Download : 885
Read : 922
Download »
Chartered as early as 1832, Northwestern Ohio railroads were among the first in the Midwest. Toledo, a rapidly developing lake port at the mouth of the Maumee River, was the destination point for many lines; others were just passing through on their way to Chicago and points west. By 1907, 20 lines served the northwestern counties. All had a series of stations along their lines, often with depots or other railroad structures. Although many have come and gone, Northwest Ohio was once home to over 250 passenger or combination depots serving the traveling public. Railroad Depots of Northwest Ohio relives the golden age of railroad travel through vintage postcards and mid-20th century photos of selected depots and related structures.

Railroad Depots of Northeast Ohio

Author : Mark J. Camp
File Size : 61.27 MB
Format : PDF, ePub, Mobi
Download : 219
Read : 718
Download »
The first rail lines in northeast Ohio opened for business in July 1850, and by the 1890s, northeast Ohio was laced with railroad tracks. Cleveland was the hub of railroad activity, and important rail-served lake ports developed at Ashtabula, Conneaut, Fairport Harbor, Huron, and Lorain. Akron became a center of southerly east-west lines. Over 310 passenger and combination depots were established at various points along the railroads to serve the needs of passengers traveling throughout northeast Ohio. Depots were the focal point of communities--news arrived over their telegraphs, traveling salesmen gathered on the trackside platforms, depot staff maneuvered four-wheel wagons loaded with baggage, parcels, and milk cans, locals gathered to meet, greet, and send off family and friends. The depot was a veritable beehive of activity at train time. Railroad Depots of Northeast Ohio offers a glimpse into these golden years of train travel through the use of early postcards and photographs of selected depots and related structures.

Railroad Depots of Southwest Ohio

Author : Mark J. Camp
File Size : 32.2 MB
Format : PDF
Download : 525
Read : 255
Download »
Springfield was the original destination of the two oldest railroad companies to lay rails in Ohio, the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad and the Little Miami Railroad. This would form the first rail link between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. Other routes became more important as rails eventually spread like spokes of a wheel from Cincinnati, and connections were made to Akron, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Indianapolis, Lexington, Louisville, Marietta, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Toledo as well as many other cities by the late 1800s. Hundreds of depots were erected to serve train travelers, ranging from the smallest shelter to the standard combined passenger-freight building to the major city passenger terminal. Cincinnati, Dayton, and Springfield became railroad centers, and towns like Blanchester, Hamilton, Loveland, Middletown, Morrow, Wilmington, and Xenia, served by more than one line, became busy transfer points. With the decline of rail passenger service, depots became unnecessary--many were demolished. Railroad Depots of Southwest Ohio presents a pictorial look at a sampling of these grand structures when they were in their prime.

Railroad Depots of East Central Ohio

Author : Mark J. Camp
File Size : 83.82 MB
Format : PDF, Kindle
Download : 153
Read : 1234
Download »
"The hilly Allegheny plateau of eastern Ohio was crossed by a number of primarily east-west rail lines heading toward Chicago, St. Louis, and ports on the Mississippi River during the latter part of the 19th century. These lines, eventually part of the Baltimore & Ohio, Erie, New York Central, Nickel Plate, and Pennsylvania systems were joined by shorter lines extending from Lake Erie to the Ohio River, most notably the Wheeling & Lake Erie, designed to tap the coal and clay riches of the region. In order to serve the populace, railroad depots were needed. Smaller communities like Dalton and Dundee received typical combination depots designed to provide passenger, baggage, and freight accommodations. Separate passenger and freight depots were erected in larger communities, including Ashland and Canton. The arrival of the automobile brought a decline to local passenger service and a closing of depots. Some depots continued to serve the railroads in other ways and others were sold and moved from trackside, but many were demolished. Few remain today"--Back cover.

Laws and Ordinances for the Government of the City

Author : Wheeling (W. Va.).
File Size : 57.43 MB
Format : PDF, Docs
Download : 274
Read : 895
Download »

American Railroad Journal

Author :
File Size : 28.43 MB
Format : PDF, Mobi
Download : 115
Read : 769
Download »

House Documents Otherwise Publ as Executive Documents

Author : United States. Congress. House
File Size : 50.85 MB
Format : PDF, ePub, Docs
Download : 426
Read : 787
Download »

The Monitor Guide to Post Offices and Railroad Stations in the United States and Canada

Author :
File Size : 53.38 MB
Format : PDF, ePub
Download : 507
Read : 573
Download »